Rainy conditions are directly associated with higher accident rates. Here are a few things to check before you drive on a rainy day:
• Check your lights! Not only do they help you see the road, but they’ll help other drivers see you.
• While it might seem like common sense, make sure your windshield wipers are working! If you can hear a scraping noise or see streak marks, your wipers should be replaced.
• Your aircon is another necessity in wet weather, especially for older cars that may not have a back windshield. The cold air stops your windscreens from fogging. (Hot tip: bring a towel with you to wipe down fog before you take off).
• Check your tyres! Bald tyres reduce traction in wet weather.
• Slow down and keep a safe distance from the driver in front of you. Your vehicle’s reaction time is much slower when it is raining.
• Know your limits. If you feel like it is too unsafe to drive, pull over and wait for the weather to pass.
If you are concerned that your car is not meeting these standards, book into the Motor Hospital today! We can provide you with advice and check over everything to make sure your vehicle is safe in wet weather!